Jamztoma's Blog License

Friday, February 19, 2016

SONG OF A MYTHOLOGICAL CHARACTER


This was written for colleague Sanaa Rizvi's 
PROMPT NIGHTS 7:

Oh mythology
interpretations
by past generations' 
versions of origins

I'm looking at the sun
Praying that I won't become
ash to the rays of fire
that Apollo's chariot blooms
as it rides across the sky
a daily task of orange fumes

Oh mythology
interpretations
by past generations'
versions of origins

I'm a waterfall of tears
Mourning my lost love
where do I go from here?
I'm a creature so feared
turned this way by the wrath
of a goddess so fierce

Oh mythology
interpretations
by past generations'
versions of origins

I'm about to be sacrificed
as atonement for misdoings
of a city full of pride
I'm a product of lovers
one a god and one a woman
the beginning of a line of fighters...

Oh mythology
interpretations
by past generations'
versions of origins

My mythology
is a story
one of glory
a chapter of history... 

22 comments:

  1. Lovely!! The repetition acts like a chant which lures the reader in. Thank you so much for participating James :D


    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your use of repetition here. It adds to the timeless quality, for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that your poems reads like a chant. And like De, I believe the repetition does a good job at emphasizing how many of the events that take place in mythology seem to take place again and again, day after day, from culture to culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you weave myth into everyday life...repetitions work wonder here....

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sense of timelessness adds to the feeling of myths come alive...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the first stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last verse puts everything into perspective beautifully..to cry is to be human - which is far better than any myth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all cry to be human. Sometimes, though, that cry falls to earth...

      Delete
  8. what a beautiful song, luv the chorus, i sing along transported to the heights of a goddess

    have a beautiful Sunday James

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this poem...as a chant as we move from myth to reality!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the alternating voices in the stanzas, and the repetition which underscores the story. This is a different voice for you, and I like that you are exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah we can learn so very much from mythology, can't we? In fact, I like to think we can write our own mythology as well. Smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice combination of myth and real. Very good poem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha. I liked how you put yourself on the place of mythological characters and situations. Thought provoking poem, good idea indeed! Happy week to you, James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mythology resonates because it is the story of being human,

      Elizabeth

      Delete
  14. there's an incantatory rhythm to these lines with several interesting allusions.it is remarkable the hold greek and roman mythologies still have on us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this has such a lyrical feel to it

    ReplyDelete
  16. i think the repetition works very well. it's like the chorus of a song. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The repetition is a nifty device here. There's also a sort of Greek chorus aspect to it, reminding us of myth's far reaching impact.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I suppose our story, is one little chapter of history.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Humans have always been interested in mythology discovering the magic of these unique stories. Nice pace and rhythm throughout the poem

    ReplyDelete