Jamztoma's Blog License

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

SUFFER


This poem was written for Poets United's Midweek Motif:

Martyrdom is...

To suffer for the promise
The promise of extreme happiness
Happiness without an end
An end to pain and wrongs

You got me suffering
Yet I'm earning
my place in the sun

Martyrdom is...

To die for a cause
The cause of goodness for all
For all to end all hate
End to hate from the skeptic

You got me dying
Yet I'm rising
up from the negative.

Martyrdom is...

To laugh in the afterlife
The afterlife where all's just
Just and absolute perfection
Perfection of heart and mind.

You got me laughing
because I'm going
to a wonderful life.

11 comments:

  1. Martyrdom is...
    To die for a cause
    The cause of goodness for all

    Such heartwarming emotion in these lines.. Beautifully penned James.

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I believe laughter and happiness will prevail in the end. Thoughtful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your description of martyrdom...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is strange, how this one word can look so different when framed do--like where you took this prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A faith like the one you depict, does give hope for a happy afterlife while enduring suffering now. Still, I wish we could live for a cause rather than die for one. But, I hear you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this a few times, both moved and disturbed. It is the laughter, I think, but to suffer so for a cause and win! oh, laughter indeed. Powerful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yet I'm rising
    up from the negative.... nicely done..I like how the repetition works!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I first tried writing a poem about martyrdom....but then thought about the wrong interpretations fundamentalist leaders use in exhorting their followers to murder "infidels". I know no loving God would ever condone the murder of innocents. I finally gave up on the poem. You have taken the direction that martyrdom used to have - innocents killed for their faith. That still happens today too. Sigh. A difficult topic but your strong faith gave it a positive spin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your format, definition and the positive end...

    ReplyDelete
  10. A haunting image and i agree you made this a story not only of survival but of lifting oneself up...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very heartfelt poem, James. I like the way it plumbs the depths and then rises up gloriously in the end!

    ReplyDelete