Jamztoma's Blog License

Friday, June 2, 2017

Book Review #26: AMERICAN ROCOCO: ESSAYS ON THE EDGE by ISHAM COOK


TITLE: AMERICAN ROCOCO: ESSAYS ON THE EDGE 
Author: ISHAM COOK
Publisher: MAGIC THEATER BOOKS
Publication Date: 17 MARCH 2017
Genre: ESSAYS
Available at AMAZON and BARNES AND NOBLE.

Engaging Essay Collection You Have to Read!

            If there was a collection of essays as interesting as the Monalisa, this one is surely it!  It was assigned to me to be read and reviewed and just by the title itself, I knew I was in for a treat since I love all things art.  From the first essay about the hidden dangers of smartphones to the one about love that preaches: “hate between a man and his wife can help their marriage.”  Very interesting right?  That and many other views of his made me read this collection from cover to cover.  His thoughts and ideas can make you go “oh really?” to “wow, I didn’t think of that before.” 

            The title essay made me smile when he talked about the “variety” of customers that shop at Walmart and how the “obese” are praiseworthy for their carelessness about their appearances.  I rarely go to Walmart and when I do there’s always a shortage of shoppers or the “uniques” are absent but this is not the first source of this idea that I stumbled upon.  It tickled me that Cook brushes aside the negative side of it and lauds these people for their confidence in their bodies.  Heck, I would do so too since I am not perfect and whoever polices people on their shopping looks ought to be chastised for their shallowness.  Who gives right?  This is why I trust Cook and his essays the more.  (Also, he goes on to compare fatness with the rococo style…haha).

            I recommend this collection to everyone who wants to learn a new angle about certain topics.  I recommend it to those readers who love the arts too since there is a good ladle of essays about music and the visual arts in this gem.  I assure you the ideas and views of this author will force you to keep on reading to discover fresh points of views.  I guarantee you that you will not be wasting your money and that once the book is over you’ll smile, shake your head, and acknowledge Cook for his interesting views.  I did and it was a great feeling on this sunny day of June 2017!  

No comments:

Post a Comment